Shaundra Schudmak’s broad insurance practice includes insurance coverage, insurance defense, bad faith claims, uninsured and underinsured motorist claims, property damage claims, commercial litigation, torts, premises liability, public sector liability, and pre-litigation consulting. She also serves on the panel of arbitrators for the American Arbitration Association and Council of Better Business Bureaus, Inc.
Shaundra has substantial litigation experience in both state and federal courts. Since joining Lugenbuhl, she has worked diligently to partner with clients to resolve matters through pre-litigation consulting and negotiation when possible, but Shaundra is also a fierce advocate in trial when necessary. Her unique skills combined with her calm confidence resonate with her clients to earn their trust, and her ability to make clients feel at ease in stressful situations has led her to earn plaintiff representation experience with complex property insurance, personal injury, medical malpractice and civil rights claims. Shaundra has also been appointed to serve as the arbiter in single-panel arbitrations of consumer disputes.
While in law school, Shaundra earned a Certificate in Global Arbitration Law and Practice from the Hamline Dispute Resolution Institute. She ultimately found her niche during her clerkships for an insurance defense firm, providing in-house counsel services for a large national insurance company, and later a boutique firm handling primarily insurance and public sector liability disputes.
Outside the Office
When Shaundra is not in the office, she enjoys spending time outdoors and traveling with family and friends.
- Handled numerous cases involving catastrophic automobile accidents, premises liability, construction defects, professional liability, property insurance claims, public entity liability and more.
- Represented clients involved in lawsuits, including plaintiffs and defendants, and in their capacities as the parties involved in the underlying claims and/or incidental demands, primary and excess insurance carriers and underinsured motorist carriers.
- Obtained voluntary and involuntary dismissals of claims against clients in numerous matters, including:
- Obtained multiple voluntary dismissals of claims against clients where the law does not afford a right or cause of action for the claims asserted and/or the at-issue insurance policies do not afford coverage for the claims being asserted.
- Obtained multiple involuntary dismissals of claims against insurance company clients as a result of motion practice where the at-issue policies do not afford coverage for the claims being asserted based on various provisions of the policies such as the insuring agreement, exclusions, limitation, and conditions.
- Obtained multiple involuntary dismissals of claims against insurance company clients as a result of motion practice where the law does not provide a right or cause of action for the claims being asserted based on legal arguments, including but not limited to under underinsured/uninsured motorist statute, direct action statute, prescription/peremption, anti-indemnity statutes, insurance bad faith statutes, and others.
- Successfully negotiated settlements in numerous matters during informal negotiations, mediations, and settlement conferences involving liability and insurance coverage issues at all stages, including pre-litigation, early after suit filing, during pendency of suit, and mid-trial but before verdict, including:
- Mediated and settled numerous first-party property claims arising out of Hurricanes Laura, Delta, and Ida.
- Mediated and settled a contentious personal injury case on the eve of trial for client for a fraction of the Plaintiff’s initial valuation. This was a complex case involving politically connected parties and numerous allegations of bad faith. Successfully transferred the risk to other parties/insurers involved in the litigation to settle the case on favorable terms for the client.
- Mediated and settled a construction defect case filed by a disgruntled purchaser of a condominium owner.
- Negotiated a settlement during settlement conference in federal court of a dispute over distribution of life insurance proceeds.
- Negotiated a settlement of an alleged construction defect case arising out of the installation of a swimming pool. The client was the insurance carrier of the contractor responsible for the pool installation.
- Mediated and settled a construction defect case involving an underground oxygen and propane piping system at a scrap metal facility. The client was the insurance carrier for the contractor retained to coat/paint the pipes before installation.
- Negotiated a settlement of several slip-and-fall and trip-and-fall cases, and cases arising out of automobile accidents.
- Litigated nine matters in trial in Louisiana federal and state courts.
- Appointed as an arbitrator in eight matters, three of which resolved in settlements, and five involved considered decision.
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Georgia State Bar Association
- New Orleans Bar Association
- Louisiana Claims Association
- American Arbitration Association
- Council of Better Business Bureaus, Inc.
- Best Lawyers (2019-2024)
- Super Lawyers (2021-2024)
- New Orleans Magazine’s “Top Lawyers” (2019-2020, 2023)
- Inside New Orleans Reader’s Favorite “Elite Lawyers” (2022-2023)
- Super Lawyers: Rising Stars (2016-2018)
- Martindale-Hubbell: AV Preeminent Rating
- “Breaking Down Privileges: Discovery of an Insurer’s Files in Litigation, It’s a Privilege to Know Your Rights,” Louisiana Claims Association Educational Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana (2018)
- “What Do You Do When Your Insured Doesn’t Cooperate?,” Louisiana Claims Association Educational Conference, Natchez, Mississippi (2016)
- “You Want Me To Insure Whom? A Discussion of Additional Insured Status,” Louisiana Claims Association Educational Conference and Expo, New Orleans, Louisiana (2015)
- “Reimbursement of Advance Benefits, A Practical Guide,” The Insurance Coverage Law Bulletin (May 2014), republished in Texas Lawyer (June 2014)