We offer a full range of commercial real estate services, each tailored to the unique requirements of the transaction. Among the many services Lugenbuhl’s real estate team provides are:
Commercial Real Estate Development
From hotels, office buildings and shopping centers to subdivision and condominium projects, we assist our clients from start to finish in the site-development process. Whether the project starts with acquisition by sale or lease, our clients rely on our long experience and deep understanding of commercial real estate to guide them through the intricacies of financing, title, leasing, sales, acquisitions, development and land use.
Commercial Closing Services and Title Insurance
LAWLA Title, LLC, our in-house title agency, offers full commercial closing services through our attorneys as well as complete title review and insurance services.
Title Insurance Coverage and Defense
With unparalleled experience representing national title-insurance underwriters in over two thousand claims on questions of coverage or first-party defense, or as retained counsel for the insureds to defend title under a policy, our real estate team provides highly efficient and timely resolution of title claims.
Resolution of Complex Title Issues
We regularly assist in resolving even the most complex title issues. Examples are:
- New Orleans Riverfront ownership and entitlements for the Port of New Orleans
- BP oil spill claims by owners in the DeepWater Horizon disaster
- Mapping and title review of Tulane University’s uptown campus and Tulane’s riverfront properties
- Port of New Orleans’ acquisition of the New Orleans Public Belt Railroad and the Huey P. Long Bridge including land from Almonaster Industrial Park in New Orleans east to Avondale Shipyard in West Jefferson Parish
- Resolved ownership interests of 43,500 acres in St. Tammany Parish
Regardless of the complexity, our team has the knowledge and skill necessary to identify and cure title issues efficiently, on both large and small tracts of land. With special focus on riverfront development and historic title, our team is known for prompt resolution of the most difficult title issues.
Land Use and Zoning/Entitlements
To enhance the use of the project for our clients, in addition to our work in commercial development projects, we also regularly assist in analyzing and obtaining the proper land-use permits, structure and system of land rights.
Leases, Servitudes and Rights of Use
With particular focus in negotiating site leases for New Orleans riverfront developments, retail bank locations in Texas and Louisiana, and a major university, our team has negotiated most kinds of commercial and retail leases, whether for the tenant in an outparcel, anchor, or in-line store or for the developer/landlords.
We efficiently and cost effectively represent lenders and servicers in foreclosure actions statewide. Our real estate attorneys also work collaboratively with our bankruptcy and restructuring team to assist our clients when faced with insolvency situations concerning real estate, whether that entails acquiring distressed real estate in bankruptcy proceedings, financially restructuring commercial real estate debt and holdings, or protecting and enforcing lenders’ rights under mortgages and other loan documents.
- Represented St. Augustine High School in its planning and financing of improvements to its main campus facilities, including requests for proposals, construction contracts, negotiations with the U.S. Small Business Administration, and utilizing bank loans and New Markets Tax Credit financing.
- Represented the owner/developer of 935 Gravier Street, New Orleans (former Chevron Building) in its acquisition, conversion, financing and leasing of its 412,205 SF building.
- Represented the owner of 2400 Veterans Memorial Blvd., Kenner, in its acquisition, financing and leasing of its 133,312 SF building.
- Represented the owner, Poydras Properties II, L.L.C., in the ground-up development of a five-story building on the corner of Loyola Ave and Poydras Street, and the redevelopment of its adjacent property at 1250 Poydras Street. This included the construction of the building, imposing a condominium regime on the corner building, and imposing an office/hotel regime on the adjacent office building, including all permitting and entitlements, as well as subsequent transactions related to the properties.
- Crafted the land use rights, conditions and restrictions necessary to unite ten individually owned properties in the French Quarter into the Astor Hotel complex.
- Created a residential condominium use on land including 12 lots of record occupying more than half of a city square into ten luxury condominiums.
- Represented the largest landowners in St. Tammany, Plaquemines and St. Landry-St. Martin Parishes on a variety of real estate, levee control and industrial development issues.
- Advised the Port of New Orleans in its acquisition of the New Orleans Public Belt Railroad, advising on the Belt’s 120-year property ownership from the Almonaster industrial area in New Orleans East to Avondale Shipyard located in West Jefferson.
- Served as the “legal architect” for the development of Tulane University’s riverfront properties, a project requiring in-depth knowledge of riverfront title and regulatory issues and involving working closely with Tulane, the Port of New Orleans, the New Orleans Convention Center, and the City of New Orleans on behalf of the client.
- Acquisition by sale or lease
- Real estate financing
- Commercial title closing services
- Title insurance services
- Title insurance defense and coverage
- Riverfront development and historic title
- Land use permitting / entitlements
- Commercial and retail leases
- Commercial foreclosure