From Lugenbuhl’s New Orleans office, Céleste Elliott focuses on several insurance coverage practice areas, including third-party insurance coverage, general liability, environmental and toxic tort liability coverage and marine insurance coverage.
Céleste represents insurers in connection with insurance coverage and bad faith disputes involving a variety of matters, including environmental and latent injury claims, business torts, and labor and employment-related claims. In addition, she has considerable experience representing insurers as direct action defendants in litigation in Louisiana, along with seeking declaratory relief in Louisiana on behalf of insurers.
Prior to joining Lugenbuhl, Celeste served as a staff attorney with the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana.
Outside the Office
- Obtained rulings of no coverage in various contamination and pollution claims under various states’ and maritime law (Louisiana and Texas federal courts).
- Obtained summary judgments in favor of insurers on general liability policies for assault and battery claims (Louisiana federal and state courts).
- Obtained early dismissal for insurers based on no right of action or improper venue under the Louisiana Direct Action Statute (Louisiana federal and state courts).
- Obtained favorable rulings on general liability policies for construction defect claims (Louisiana federal and state courts).
- Obtained declaratory judgment of no coverage for insurers in claims involving pollution, no “occurrence” and employer’s liability (Louisiana federal and state courts).
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of insurers in claims of various contexts finding no coverage as an insured or additional insured (Louisiana federal and state courts).
- Obtained rulings of no coverage or dismissals in various general liability cases involving automobiles (Louisiana federal and state courts).
- Represented insurers as amicus curiae in significant coverage determinations at Louisiana Supreme Court.
- Obtained rulings of no coverage or claim for insurers in various contractual indemnity or additional insured claims involving chemical, mold and asbestos exposure claims and construction defect claims (Louisiana federal and state courts).
- Represented insurers in multiple class actions in various contexts (Louisiana federal and state courts).
- Quashed subpoenas to insurers and associations in various contexts (Louisiana federal and state courts).
- Obtained contribution from other insurers and reduced allocation for defense and indemnity in claims of various contexts (Louisiana and Texas federal and state courts).
- In a jury trial, defended the insurer of a bar that allegedly violated a noise ordinance (Louisiana trial court).
- Defended an insurer against contamination claims (Georgia federal court).
- Defended the insurer of a chemical manufacturer against claims of coverage for bodily injury and property damage caused by alleged exposure to toxic chemicals (Louisiana trial court).
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- New Orleans Bar Association
- Bar Association of the Fifth Federal Circuit
- Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating
- Best Lawyers (2018-2024)
- Super Lawyers (2017-2024)
- Inside New Orleans Reader’s Favorite “Elite Lawyers” (2022-2023)
- New Orleans Magazine “Top Lawyers” (2019-2021, 2023)