Photo provided by NewOrleansSaints.com
As president of the Kingsley House board of directors, shareholder Miles Thomas facilitated a $1 million gift commitment from the Gayle and Tom Benson Charitable Foundation to Kingsley House. This generous gift will serve to provide ongoing support for the myriad of programs and services Kingsley House provides.
In addition, Kingsley House’s historic gymnasium – built in the 1830s – was renamed during a special ceremony on Oct. 25 as the Gayle and Tom Benson Community Center. Miles was a featured speaker during the ceremony, which honored Gayle Benson for her generous contribution to Kingsley House and unveiled the gymnasium’s new name. To view a video of the unveiling, click here.
Founded in 1896 by the Reverend Beverley Warner of Trinity Episcopal Church, Kingsley House is a nonprofit that educates children, strengthens families and builds community by providing a range of nationally accredited and state certified programs to thousands of infants, children, youth, parents, senior citizens and medically fragile adults. It is the oldest settlement house in the South and was the culmination of Reverend Warner’s efforts to help immigrants overcome language, cultural, social and family displacement barriers when they settled in New Orleans.
In his role as president, Miles is the head of Kingsley House’s board of directors, leading its monthly meetings to conduct business and address issues important to both the organization and the community it serves. He also serves as an ambassador for Kingsley House, seeking to inform his peers and his community of the impact Kingsley House’s services and programs have in south Louisiana.