From our New Orleans office, Stewart focuses on bankruptcy, restructuring, and creditors’ rights; admiralty and maritime; marine finance and vessel documentation; asset-based finance; litigation, corporate and commercial law; and oil and gas.
Stewart has been practicing law in New Orleans for more than 38 years. He is a 1974 graduate of Kenyon College, magna cum laude, where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. He graduated top in his class in 1977 from Tulane Law School where he was elected to the Order of the Coif and was a member of the Tulane Law Review.
Stewart has been lead trial and appellate counsel in over 60 reported cases in the federal and state courts. He is listed in Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers in New Orleans, Louisiana Super Lawyers, and Chambers USA. He has participated in oral argument before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit 13 times, as well as before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, the Louisiana Supreme Court, and the Louisiana Courts of Appeal. He is either presently acting or has previously acted as debtor’s lead counsel or creditors’ counsel in a number of Chapter 11 bankruptcies involving companies operating in and outside of the Gulf Coast region. These cases include a number of relatively large reorganizations, including Torch Offshore, Inc., Bender Shipbuilding & Repair Co., Inc., Gulf Fleet Holdings, Inc., Trico Marine Services, Inc., Force Energy, Inc., and Borders Group, Inc. Stewart has also handled significant marine finance transactions, as well as substantial mergers and acquisitions. He acts as general counsel to a number of regional businesses in providing counsel and his legal expertise.
Significant Chapter 11 Bankruptcy & Creditor Matters
- Debtors’ Lead Counsel for Gulf Fleet Holdings, Inc., as well as 10 of its subsidiaries and affiliates in Chapter 11 with over $35,000,000 in assets and approximately $65,000,000 in claims
- Debtor’s Lead Counsel for Bender Shipbuilding & Repair Co., Inc. in Chapter 11 with over $100,000,000 in assets and $100,000,000 in claims
- Debtor’s Lead Counsel for Torch Offshore, Inc. in a Chapter 11 proceeding with over $125,000,000 in claims and $100,000,000 in assets
- Debtor’s Lead Counsel for East Cameron Partners, LP in Chapter 11 proceeding with assets of over $100,000,000 and debt of approximately $185,000,000
- Debtor’s Lead Counsel for Conmaco/Rector, LP in a Chapter 11 proceeding.
- Debtor’s Lead Counsel for Sun Drilling Products Corporation in Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Case
- Lead or Special Unsecured Creditors’ Committee in the Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Cases of Trico Marine Group, Force Energy, Equinox Energy, Virgin Oil Company, Inc., as well as others
- Representation of Citicorp North America, Inc. in the foreclosure of Oakwood Mall, a shopping mall in metropolitan New Orleans
- Represented Secured Creditors in numerous Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Cases
Awards & Recognition
- Listed in Chambers USA
- Listed in the 2010-2012 editions of Louisiana Super Lawyers in the fields of bankruptcy and maritime law
- Listed in recent editions of Best Lawyers in America in the field of maritime law
- Listed in recent editions of New Orleans Magazine, Top Lawyers in New Orleans
- Past Chairman of the Bankruptcy Committee for the New Orleans Bar Association
- Magna Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Distinction in Political Science, Kenyon College, 1974
- Order of the Coif, Tulane Law Review, Tulane Law School, 1977
Publications & Presentations
- Stewart F. Peck, “Navigating the Murky Waters of Admiralty and Bankruptcy Law,” 87 Tul. L. Rev. 955 (June 2013)
- “Navigating the Murky Waters of Admiralty and Bankruptcy Law,” 24th Admiralty Law Institute, Tulane University Law School, March 14, 2013
- “Involuntary Bankruptcy and Other Ways to Collect Money Owed Your Client," 18th Annual Bankruptcy Seminar, Louisiana State University School of Law, October 11, 2012
- “The ‘B’ Word: Bankruptcy Primer for Offshore Marine Services Companies,“ Offshore Marine Service Association Law Seminar, November 19, 2009
- “Taking Advantage of the Louisiana Oil Well Lien Act (LOWLA),” July 10, 2009
- “Recent Developments in Bankruptcy: An Analysis of Bankruptcy Issues in 2008,” December 30, 2008
- “Chapter 11: Dangers, Defenses, and Strategies for Creditors,” April 2, 2003
- “Bankruptcy: A Creditor’s Perspective in Louisiana,” April 23, 2002
Significant M&A and Finance Transactions
- In 2013, represented Trinity Yachts, LLC, TY Offshore and certain affiliates in the formation and consolidation of assets and operations in the Gulf Coast Shipyard Group, as well as the subsequent equity investment by Littlejohn & Co., LLC, a private investment firm
- In 2008, represented seller of marine companies in the approximate amount of $80,000,000
- Handled the auction and sale of assets of Bender Shipbuilding & Repair Co., Inc. for an amount exceeding $40,000,000 in connection with its pending Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Case
- Handled the auction and sale of the marine assets of Gulf Fleet Holdings, Inc., et al. for an amount exceeding $26,000,000 in connection with their pending Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Cases
- Handled marine finance transactions with a cumulative value of more than $300,000,000 in recent years
- In 2005, handled the sale of a fleet of vessels from Torch Offshore to Cal Dive International
United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeal:
- In re ENRE LP, 457 F.3d 493 (5th Cir. 2006)
- In re Ramba, Inc., 416 F.3d 394 (5th Cir. 2005)
- Effjohn Intern. Cruise Holdings, Inc. v A&L Sales, Inc., 346 F.3d 552, (5th Cir. 2003).
- Kane Enterprises v. MacGregor, 322 F.3d 371, (5th Cir. 2003).
- In re Equinox Oil Co., Inc., 300 F.3d 614, (5th Cir. 2002).
- In re Jack/WadeDrilling, Inc., 258 F.3d 385, (5th Cir. 2001).
- Canal Barge Co., Inc., v. Torco Oil Co., 220 F.3d 370, (5th Cir. 2000).
- Wilson Indus., Inc. v. Aviva America Inc., 185 F.3d 492, (5th Cir. 1999).
- Trico Marine Operators, Inc. V. Falcon Drilling Co., 116 F.3d 159, (5th Cir. 1997).
- Matter of Alliance Operating Corp., 60 F.3d 1174, (5th Cir. 1995).
- Alberto v. Diversified Group, Inc., 55 F.3d 201, (5th Cir. 1995).
- Hibernia Nat. Bank v. Carner, 997 F.2d 94, (5th Cir. 1993).
- Union Texas Petroleum Corp. v. PLT Engineering, Inc., 895 F.2d 1043, (5th Cir. 1990).
- Ingersoll-Rand Fin. Corp. v. Employers Ins. of Wausau, 771 F.2d 910, (5th Cir. 1985).
United States Fourth District Court of Appeal:
- Puglia Marine, Inc. v. Trinity Yacht, 112 Fed. Appx. 933, 2004 WL 2634517 (4th Cir. 2004)
United States District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana:
- Dror Intern., L.P. v. Thundervision, LLC, 2009 WL 2147205, (E.D.La. 2009)
- PNC Bank v. Smuck et al, 2009 WL 481261, (E.D.La. 2009)
- Reuther, et al. v. Smith, et al., 2007 WL 1962956 (E.D.La. 2008)
- Conmaco/Rector, LP v. Shaw & Sons Equip. Rental, Inc., 2006 WL 3422258 (E.D.La. 2006)
- Morse v. Bank One, et al., 2005 WL 3541037 (E.D.La. 2005)
- In re Torch Offshore, Inc., 327 B.R. 254 (E.D.La. 2005)
- Morse v. Bank One, et al., 2004 WL 2984361 (E.D.La. 2004)
- Texas Mexican Railway Co. v. SunDrilling Products Corp., 2004 WL 2784949 (E.D.La. 2004)
- SunDrilling Products Corp. v. Texas Mexican Railway Co., 2004 WL 2256070 (E.D.La. 2004)
- J. Ray McDermott v. Berry Contracting, et al., 2004 WL 414962 (E.D.La. 2004)
- J. Ray McDermott v. Berry Contracting, et al., 2004 WL 224583 (E.D.La. 2004)
- Morse v. Bank One, et al., 2003 WL 23095588 (E.D.La. 2003)
- J. Ray McDermott v. Berry Contracting, et al., 2003 WL 21750618 (E.D.La. 2003)
- LaCoste Builders, LLC v. Croft Metals, Inc., et al., 2002 WL 34449026 (E.D.La. 2002)
- In re Massan Shipping Indus., Inc., 272 B.R. 625 (E.D.La. 2005)
- Wilson Industries v. Aviva America, Inc., 63 F.Supp.2d 747 (E.D.La. 1998)
- Fagan Enterprises, Inc. v. Constantin Land Trust, 1998 WL 195984 (E.D.La. 1998)
- Theophile v. Trinity Indus., Inc., 977 F.Supp. 782 (E.D.La. 1997)
- C&G Boats, Inc. v. Texas Ohio Services, Inc., 164 F.R.D. 57 (E.D.La. 1995)
- In re Alliance Operating Corp., 173 B.R. 326 (E.D.La. 1994)
- Camadelle v. A&P Boat Rentals, Inc., 1990 WL 161039 (E.D.La. 1990)
- United States of America v. LeBeouf Bros. Towing Co., Inc., 45 B.R. 887 (E.D.La. 1985)
United States District Court, Western District of Louisiana:
- Goldin Assoc., LLC v. Central Boat Rentals, Inc., 2008 WL 1782284 (W.D.La. 2008)
- In re Jack/Wade Drilling, Inc., 213 B.R. 493 (W.D.La. 1997)
United States District Court, Middle District of Louisiana:
- Hibernia Nat. Bank v. Carner, 758 F.Supp. 382 (M.D.La. 1991)
United States District Court, Southern District of Texas:
- Deep Marine Tech., Inc. v. Conmaco/Rector, LP, 515 F.Supp.2d 760 (S.D.Tex. 2007)
United States Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Louisiana:
- In re Torch Offshore, Inc., et al., 2008 WL 245746 (Bankr.E.D.La. 2008)
- In re Barnett Marine, Inc., 2007 WL 2893518 (Bankr.E.D.La. 2007)
- In re New Orleans Paddlewheels, Inc., 2007 WL 1035151 (Bankr.E.D.La. 2007)
- In re New Orleans Paddlewheels, Inc., 350 B.R. 667 (Bankr.E.D.La. 2006)
- In re Barnett Marine, Inc., 343 B.R. 561 (Bankr.E.D. La. 2006)
United States Bankruptcy Court, Middle District of Florida:
- In re Penisular Oil Corp., 399 B.R.532, (M.D.Fla. 2008).
United States Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Mississippi:
- In re FGH Liquidating Trust, 2008 WL 2778875, (Bankr.S.D.Miss. 2008).
Louisiana Supreme Court:
- Crescent Towing & Salvage Co., Inc. v. Ormet Corp., 720 So.2d 628 (La. 1998)
- Triangle Marine, Inc. v. Savoie, et al., 681 So.2d 937 (La. 1996)
Louisiana First Circuit Court of Appeal:
- Crescent Towing & Salvage Co., Inc. v. Ormet Corp., 694 So.2d 1121 (La.App. 1 Cir. 1997)
Louisiana Fourth Circuit Court of Appeal:
- C&S Safety Systems, Inc. v. SSEM Corp., 843 So.2d 447 (La.App. 4 Cir. 2003)
- Rauscher Pierce Refsnes, Inc. v. Flatt, 632 So.2d 807 (La.App. 4 Cir. 1994)
- Fidelity Bank & Trust Co. v. Deutsch, Kerrigan & Stiles (La.App. 4 Cir. 1990)
- C-Craft Marine Services, Inc. v. LLOG Expl. Co., et al., 470 So.2d 241 (La.App 4 Cir. 1985)
Louisiana Fifth Circuit Court of Appeal:
- Carriere v. Bank of Louisiana in New Orleans, 662 So.2d 491 (La.App. 5 Cir. 1995)
- Pipe Liners, Inc. v. Edenwald Contracting Co., Inc., et al., 650 So.2d 304 (La.App. 5 Cir. 1995)
- Carriere v. Bank of Louisiana in New Orleans, 602 So.2d 155 (La.App. 5 Cir. 1992)
- Carriere v. Frank A. Occhipinit, Inc., 570 So.2d 43 (La.App. 5 Cir. 1990)
- McMillan v. Bank of the South, 514 So.2d 227 (La.App. 5 Cir. 1987)