From our New Orleans office, Joseph focuses on several practice areas including commercial litigation; bankruptcy, restructuring, and creditors’ rights; and litigation.
Joseph earned his law degree from Tulane University Law School in 2010, magna cum laude. Joseph’s name was inscribed in the marble at Tulane for winning the Appellate Moot Court Competition in 2010; he was also a National Semifinalist in the National Environmental Law Moot Court Competition that year. While in law school, Joseph served as judicial extern to the Honorable Jerry A. Brown, bankruptcy judge for the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana. Joseph was also published in the Tulane Environmental Law Journal on issues ranging from oil-and-gas law to environmental bankruptcy.
Joseph has successfully represented businesses in a variety of commercial litigation matters concerning breach of contract, corporate governance disputes, breach of fiduciary duty, intellectual property, and banking law.
Joseph also represents debtors, creditors, liquidating trusts, and creditors’ committees in Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings, and has successfully formulated innovative solutions and strategies in complex commercial bankruptcy cases.
- "Corporate Control Issues in Complex Commercial Bankruptcy" with Christopher T. Caplinger and Nathan Horner, 2013
- "Involuntary Bankruptcy, and Other Ways to Collect Money Owed Your Client" with Stewart F. Peck, 2012
Commercial Litigation Experience
- Represented equipment lessor in a contract dispute regarding flood control construction project, and obtained substantial recovery and dismissal of all counterclaims after bench trial.
- Conmaco/Rector L.P. v. L & A Contracting Co., No. CIV.A. 12-2337, 2014 WL 1796651 (E.D. La. May 6, 2014)
- Represented barge company in action against state tax authority, which settled favorably after victories in trial court, the court of appeals, and the Louisiana Supreme Court. Bridges v. Lebeouf Bros. Towing, 2012-2703 (La. 2/8/13), 108 So. 3d 90
- Obtained temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction against former employees of oil and gas service company for taking confidential documents for use in competitor's business.
- Represented plaintiffs in vessel seizure actions in the Eastern and Western District of Louisiana.
Bankruptcy & Reorganization Matters
- Debtors’ Counsel for Gulf Fleet Holdings, Inc., along with several related entities in Chapter 11 cases with over $100,000,000 in assets and approximately $65,000,000 in claims.
- Lead counsel for Plan Trust of New Orleans Auction Galleries, Inc. in Chapter 11 proceeding which obtained substantial recovery for unsecured creditors.
- Counsel for the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Case of Virgin Oil Company, Inc.
- Special Counsel for the Unsecured Creditors’ Committee in the Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Cases of the Trico Marine Group.
- Lead counsel in joint individual Chapter 11 case, formulating and obtaining confirmation of a plan that resulted in discharge of substantial debts for small-business owner clients.
- Represented insurer client whose insured filed bankruptcy and formulated strategy utilizing federal interpleader procedure to limit liability and litigation costs.