From our New Orleans office, Benjamin focuses on several practice areas including bankruptcy, restructuring, and creditors’ rights; corporate and commercial law, mergers and acquisitions; litigation; and asset-based finance. After graduating from Louisiana State University in 2002, Benjamin earned his law degree from Tulane University Law School in 2005. During law school, he served as a judicial clerk for the Honorable Magistrate Judge Alma Chasez, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana (2004-2005), and as a volunteer clerk for the Honorable Judge Sarah Vance, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana (2003).
Some of the Chapter 11 proceedings where Benjamin acted as debtor’s counsel include Gulf Fleet Holdings, Inc., East Cameron Partners, L.P., and Bender Shipbuilding & Repair Co. He has also served as counsel for various official committees of unsecured creditors, including acting as lead counsel in the Chapter 11 cases of Whistler Energy II, LLC, Saratoga Resources, Inc., A&B Valve and Piping Systems, L.L.C., Graham Gulf, Inc., and Virgin Oil Company, Inc., and as special counsel to the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Trico Marine bankruptcy.
Benjamin has also actively participated in a number of merger and acquisition transactions pertaining to numerous businesses based in the Gulf Coast, with a focus upon representation of non-public buyers and sellers in equity and asset sales. Because of his experience in complex Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases, Benjamin has direct experience and knowledge regarding the purchase or sale of assets by distressed companies, including navigating the process while a buyer or seller is in bankruptcy.
In addition to his private practice, Benjamin regularly provides pro bono services for the Propeller Network, which efforts were recognized by the Louisiana State Bar Association in 2015 by his receipt of the Pro Bono Publico Award. He has also been a member of the Intersession Faculty for Tulane Law School’s annual Civil Litigation Boot Camp since the program’s inception in 2012.
Benjamin is listed in the Chamber USA Guide (2017, 2018) as an Up and Coming practitioner in Bankruptcy/Restructuring, and has been recognized as a Super Lawyers' Rising Star (2014-2018) and a Top Lawyer by New Orleans Magazine in Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2014-2017). Benjamin also enjoys an AV Preeminent Rating by Martindale-Hubbel.
- "Are You Distressed? Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Counseling For Non-Bankruptcy Attorneys" - Presented by Benjamin Kadden and Meredith Grabill, 2018 Procrastinators' Programs, New Orleans, Louisiana, December 19, 2018
- "Creating and Sustaining a Culture of Service Excellence Through Effective Recruiting and Retention" - presented by Benjamin Kadden and co-panelists at TAG Alliances Spring International Conference in Barcelona, Spain, on May 3, 2018
- "Professionalism - A Judge's View; Lawyer Commentary (The Judge's View Counts)," co-presented by the Hon. John W. Kolwe and Benjamin W. Kadden at Louisiana State University Law Center's 23rd Annual Bankruptcy Law Seminar, on November 2, 2017
- "U.S. Retailers Restructuring: How are Lenders and Property Managers Responding," presented by Benjamin Kadden and co-panelists to the Turnaround Management Association, Louisiana Chapter, on March 7, 2017
- "Financing Debt and Equity: Overcoming Obstacles" and "Top Mistakes Made During an Acquisition and How to Avoid Them," presented by Benjamin Kadden and Stewart Peck at the National Business Institutes' program entitled "Buying and Selling a Business: Start-to-Finish," December 9, 2016
- "Drilling Deeper into the Significance of Louisiana Oil Well Liens in Energy-Related Bankruptcies," presented by Benjamin Kadden and the Honorable Bankruptcy Judge Marvin Isgur at the University of Texas School of Law's 35th Annual Jay L. Westbrook Bankruptcy Conference, November 17, 2016
- "Oil and Gas Industry Issues," presented by Benjamin Kadden at the Louisiana State University Law Center's 22nd Annual Bankruptcy Law Seminar, October 7, 2016
- "Tips for Avoiding a Dry Hole in an Oil & Gas Bankruptcy: an ATP Case Study," presented by Benjamin Kadden, Robin Cheatham, Mark Mintz, P.J. Goodwine and Michael Rubenstein, October 15, 2015
- “The “B” Word: Bankruptcy Primer for Offshore Marine Services Companies,” presented with Stewart F. Peck to the Offshore Marine Service Association on November 19, 2009
- “Taking Advantage of the Louisiana Oil Well Lien Act (LOWLA)," with Stewart F. Peck, July 10, 2009
- “Recent Developments in Bankruptcy: An Analysis of Bankruptcy Issues in 2008,” with Stewart F. Peck, December 30, 2008
- “Local Bankruptcy Rules: Louisiana (E.D. La.),” Practical Law Practice Bankruptcy & Restructuring, with Meredith S. Grabill, 2018
Significant Chapter 11 Bankruptcy & Creditor Matters
- Debtors’ Counsel for Gulf Fleet Holdings, Inc., as well as 10 of its subsidiaries and affiliates in Chapter 11 with over $100,000,000 in assets and approximately $65,000,000 in claims, Western District of Louisiana, Lafayette Division
- Debtor’s Counsel for Bender Shipbuilding & Repair Co., Inc. in Chapter 11 with over $100,000,000 in assets and $100,000,000 in claims, Southern District of Alabama
- Debtor’s Counsel for East Cameron Partners, LP in Chapter 11 proceeding with assets of over $100,000,000 and debt of approximately $185,000,000, Western District of Louisiana, Lafayette Division
- Lead Counsel for the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Case of Whistler Energy II, LLC, Eastern District of Louisiana
- Lead Counsel for the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Cases of Saratoga Resources, Inc., Harvest Oil & Gas, LLC and certain affiliates, Western District of Louisiana, Lafayette Division
- Lead Counsel for the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Cases of A&B Valve and Piping Systems, L.L.C. and certain affiliates, Western District of Louisiana, Lafayette Division
- Lead Counsel for the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Case of Graham Gulf, Inc., Southern District of Alabama
- Lead Counsel for the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Case of Virgin Oil Company, Inc., Eastern District of Louisiana
- Special Counsel for the Unsecured Creditors’ Committee in the Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Cases of the Trico Marine Group, District of Delaware
- Counsel for Citicorp North America, Inc. in the foreclosure of Oakwood Mall, a shopping mall in metropolitan New Orleans
Significant M&A Transactions
- In 2013, represented Trinity Yachts, LLC, TY Offshore and certain affiliates in the formation and consolidation of assets and operations in the Gulf Coast Shipyard Group, as well as the subsequent equity investment by Littlejohn & Co., LLC, a private investment firm
- Participated in the 2011 sale of the marine assets of Gulf Fleet Holdings, Inc., et al. for an amount exceeding $26,000,000 in connection with their pending Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Cases
- Participated in the 2010 sale of assets of Bender Shipbuilding & Repair Co., Inc. for an amount exceeding $40,000,000 in connection with its pending Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Case
- In 2009, represented a non-public seller in the sale of assets with an approximate value of $10,000,000
- In 2008, represented shareholders of Rigdon Marine Corporation in sale of stock to and assumption of debt by GulfMark Offshore Corporation
- In 2008, represented a non-public seller in the sale of marine assets with an approximate value of $80,000,000
- In 2007, represented a non-public seller in the sale of marine assets with an approximate value of $35,000,000